Search This Blog

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pinterest Project #2 of 2014: Mexican Style Chicken Soup

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/chicken/mexican-style-chicken-soup/

Today has been a banner day... Two projects in one day!

The recipe called for a whole yellow onion. I used a little under 1/2 because I love onion flavor, but onion does not love me. I also used minced garlic in the jar vs. fresh garlic.  I left out the jalapenos and green chiles. I also used frozen corn versus fresh hominy and for the tomatoes I used a can of Hunts Fire Roasted diced tomatoes.

My pin (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/210895195023874270/) said to start in the crockpot. Which is exactly what I did!

I make chicken every week in the crockpot. 3-4 pieces, cover with water, add about a tablespoon of chicken bouillon and cook on high for 4 hours (or on low for about 8 hours).  Once it cooks, I shredded with two forks.  I'll freeze some for later, and use some for this recipe.  If you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer, you can throw the cooked chicken breasts in the mixer, and use the paddle attachment to shred. It works like a charm! But I'm poor and don't have one of those fancy gadgets! Maybe Santa will bring me one someday!



Carla Hall (The Chew) says there is flavor in the brown! Let's hope so, I almost burnt my onion and garlic mixture! So, onions and garlic browned, spices added, then added chicken stock, salt, tomatoes and corn....



Last but not least I added the chicken and let it simmer!! I can't wait to try it with some fresh avocado and a squeeze of lime!






End Result:

Can you say OMGOSH!!!  This is the best soup I have ever made! I topped it off with 1/4 of diced avocado and squeezed 1/8 of lime into it... I ate a few tortilla chips with it for crunch. It was so good and I will definitely make this again! A++


The Diva

No comments: